Thursday, February 5, 2015

words I am somehow starting to use

Somehow: as in "The nightshift was somehow difficult but we managed". One of my favorites. It just sums up so much of everything here.

Mask with bag: Non-rebreather oxygen mask

plastification: Laminating anything. As in "I have made a sheet for nursing medications and I will bring for plastification"

I am coming: Used when you are no where near being where you are supposed to be but have every intention of showing up. Whether you actually get there doesn't always matter. The intention is there.

I am on recuperation: Day off from work

Leave: vacation as in "I will go on leave in July"

ehhh: This word/sound has so many meanings here that I'm still trying to figure it out. It can mean surprise (good or bad), yes, no, hello etc.

sibjo? (spelled wrongly I'm sure): Used at the end of a sentence to clarify if the person you are speaking to has understood; or just yes.

sawa: (Swahili word) "okay".... not actually sure if I'm using this word correctly at all

There are many more modes of speaking that I'm working through. A new  nurse that came to observe my class the other day stated that she found it interesting that I speak so slowly and also adopt a different accent when speaking to my students. There is a little debate going on here about whether doing that is condescending. I am firmly in the camp that it is not. I am not making the content of what I am teaching any less rich, just slowing it down. One of my biggest irritations is when someone is lecturing and speaking such rapid fire English that I can barely follow let alone my colleagues or students.
 


One of these days I'll post of video of Jonah speaking to Janet. He's got Kinyarwandan English down and is perfectly understood. I am somehow managing :)

2 comments:

  1. I would LOVE a video of Jonah speaking to Janet. Also, I know many people in the states who use "I am coming" in a very similar way. I've most often heard "I'm on my way" when indeed, they are not actually on their way. They do intend to be on their way...soonish...but are certainly not on their way. Plastification is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete